Wednesday 12 October 2016

Review - The Hungry Tide by Amitav Ghosh

When I was finding a book for reading in my small library, The Hungry Tide came out accidentally. My first impression was, I am not going to read this. I kept this book in shelf and started finding another unread book. I finished all the beautiful stuff available in fictions. Now I only have in my unread list are mostly on start-ups, technology, innovation, Google, etc. And of course, these all are my husband's favorites. It was 10 o'clock at night, and I was sure that nearest crossword closed now. I saw The hungry tide again and gave it a try. Now here is my review -

I have mixed feeling about this book, but it was worth reading it. The Hungry Tide brings us to a territory of Sundarbans. This book follows the tale of Sundarbans, a group of numerous of islands in the Bay of Bengal, India, bordering Bangladesh - some of the Islands have profited from telling the story of history; the hungry tide has discarded some. A site where is no discrepancy between plain water and salted one, greedy crocodiles & Tigers who swims like a fish, residents say that anybody who wishes to explore in this water, will never come back. A stability which is interrupted by two persons, Piyali and Kanai. Before reading The Hungry Tide, for me - Sundarbans means Tigers. This book makes me know an utterly strange side of Sundarbans. An in-depth history of soft mud, revolution while Bangladesh war. I was deeply in when I was reading this book.

Mr. Amitav Ghosh beautifully wrote this book. It connected the toughness of the land, the intensity of the tides and the mellowness of the people. There was a great soul of a landform that rises from the deposition of sand led by a river as the flow splits its mouth and enters the slower-moving water, invariably building and the possibility that the village was temporary and at the notions of nature.

The information of the secrecy of the Bengal tigers was interesting. I never felt anybody was safe, either on mud or river. Mixing the possible threat of animal attack and the land led an overwhelming amount of suspense. The characters were engaging, separate forms of life. The city people were learning from the people of the land and river. Some of the conversation was evident but simply ignored. Book kept me assuming how the several appearances would react. Also, the land resemblances were poetic and impressive.

In the end, It's a story of men eating tigers, Dolphins. Strange Mangrove trees, Crocodiles, the violent weather as in tsunamis and tidal waves with a surprising and heart-touching end.

Conclusion - I would recommend this book to all who are in love with beautiful nature and who want to experience an exciting and sensitive tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment